Links to Environment Agency Flood Warning Procedures
Bedford Group of IDBs
Internal Drainage Boards are responsible for providing a water-level management service within their drainage districts.
During times of heavy rainfall and high river levels the Boards:
- liaise with the Environment Agency over developing flood conditions.
- check sensitive locations and remove restrictions.
- take actions, where possible, to reduce risk of flooding to property.
- advise local authorities on the developing situation in order that Local Authorities can execute their emergency plans effectively for the protection of people, property and key infrastructure.
- assist where possible in any post-flood remedial and clearance operations.
- assess flooding incidents to determine if new works can be undertaken to reduce the effect of future flooding incidents.
The Board’s priorities during flooding are:
- ensuring the Board’s systems are working efficiently.
- protection of people and residential properties.
- protection of commercial properties.
- protection of agricultural land and ecologically sensitive sites.
The Board provides a Duty Officer number – 07764 239891.